Burglary 3300 Block of Prospect Street Northwest
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
On Saturday April 13, 2019, at approximately 5:16 p.m., a student reported to the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) and the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) that at 5:06 p.m. when they came down stairs to the living room area of their residence. They discovered an unidentified subject described as a black male, 45 – 60 years, 6’0″, 200 lbs., athletic build, bald headed, wearing a green and white striped polo shirt, blue jeans, carrying a black Jansport backpack with the Georgetown logo going through their personal property. Once the subject noticed the resident was home they fled out the front door and rode west bound on Prospect Street on a black bicycle. There were no signs of forced entry, it is believed that the subject entered the residence through the front door which was unsecured.
IMPORTANT: All students, faculty, and staff are reminded to keep their doors locked and secured at all times, even if you are away for just a few minutes.
The Georgetown University Police Department is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Second District Station at 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact GUPD at (202) 687-4343.
Date: April 13, 2019
Time: 5:06 p.m.
Location: Off Campus
Address: 3300 Block of Prospect Street Northwest
Incident type: Burglary
Respondents: Georgetown University Police Department / Metropolitan Police Department
Victim(s): Was not injured
Witness description of suspect(s): a black male, 45 – 60 years, 6’0″, 200 lbs., athletic build, bald headed, wearing a green and white striped polo shirt, blue jeans, carrying a black Jansport backpack with the Georgetown logo
The Georgetown University Police Department reminds all students to practice the following security measures:
1. On campus students should call GUPD at 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
2. Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and GUPD at 687.HELP.
3. Practice security at home by not propping doors open, always keeping doors and windows locked, even when you are at home, and not opening the door to strangers.
4. Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify GUPD at 202.687.4343.
5. Students may utilize the services of THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHUTTLES or GUPD SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 784.RIDE for GUPDSAFERIDES escorts.
6. Remember to always close and lock your residence door, even when gone for only a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.
The Georgetown University Police Department makes broadcast notifications when crimes posing a threat to the campus community are reported to GUPD or (MPD), in a manner consistent with the Campus Security Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to GUPD and/or MPD.