Saferides and Shuttles
The SafeRide program provides a safe alternative to walking alone at night for Georgetown University students, faculty and staff.
- SafeRides service begins every evening at 8 pm. The service is available until 2 am Sunday through Wednesday, and until 3 am Thursday through Saturday.
- SafeRide will transport you to and from any on-campus or off- campus location.
- GU Security Officers and Student Guards drive the SafeRide vehicles.
- If you have mobility limitations due to a temporary injury these transportation services may or may not be effective for you.
- During peak usage times, 10 pm to 2 am on Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesday you may experience a longer wait time.
SAFERIDE COVID-19 INFORMATION
- Only two passengers will be allowed at time in a SafeRide vehicle.
- Specific seats will be marked for use.
- All passengers must wear a face covering that covers both the mouth and nose while riding in the vehicle.
- SafeRide vans are sanitized after every shift with a sanitizing. fogger to assure that they are safe for the following evening.
- Please expect delays during peak times such as the weekend.
Call 202-784-RIDE to request a ride or to check on the operating status of SafeRides and Neighborhood Shuttles.
Vans will not stop for those who attempt to flag the van. You must call to request a pickup.
SAFERIDES SERVICE AREA
SafeRides provides transportation to and from campus and adjacent neighborhoods within defined boundaries. The boundaries for SafeRides service can be viewed on the map below.
View SafeRides Boundaries in a larger map
When SafeRides is not in service, you may use the LiveSafe app or call 202-784-RIDE to request an individual escort from GUPD. The method of escort (police walking escort or via police vehicle) will be determined by GUPD, based on the available resources at the time of your call. We encourage you to request an individual escort outside of SafeRides operating hours if you feeling unsafe walking alone.
During inclement weather, SafeRide and police vehicles may not be in operation and only walking escorts may be available. Because inclement weather may also lead to reduced staff, escorts may be considerably delayed. Use LiveSafe or call 202-784-RIDE to check the availability of individual escorts.
The boundaries for the escort service are the same as the boundaries for SafeRides.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES
Open food and beverages are prohibited from being inside the SafeRide vehicles.
For any emergency needing a police response call 202-687-4343 or use the LiveSafe app.
For emergencies off-campus call 911
Four shuttles operate during the academic year to and from campus in continuous loops. Details can be seen on the maps below.
Hours of service are from 10pm-3am Thursday through Saturday.
Burleith Loop Shuttle
Late Night Shuttles
|How do I request a SafeRide service?
||Download the LiveSafe App or call 202-784-RIDE|
|Can I wave down a SafeRide van for a ride?||No. You must have called in for a pick-up at a specific location.|
|Can I bring my coffee, soda, or pizza into a SafeRide van?
|When can I request a SafeRide?||SafeRides service begins every evening at 8 pm. The service is available until 2 am Sunday through Wednesday, and until 3 am Thursday through Saturday.|
|How long will the SafeRide van wait for me?||The van will wait for a minute or so. If they are not contacted by you then they will continue on to their next pick-up location.|
|If I have a complaint about the SafeRide service where do I go?||Please use this link to redirect to the GUPD Feedback Form.|