Crime Statistics and Clery Compliance
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, commonly referred to as the Clery Act, requires higher education institutions to:
- Collect, report and disseminate crime data to the campus community and the U.S. Department of Education;
- Provide timely warnings of reported crimes that represent a threat to the safety of students or employees; and
- Make public their campus security policies.
To be in compliance with this legislation, the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) disseminates public safety alerts to faculty, staff and students, produces an annual crime report, and maintains a log of reported criminal incidents.
Annual Security Report
- Annual Security Report The Georgetown University Police Department annually produces and distributes an annual security report outlining campus security policies, procedures and crime statistics.
Annual Fire Safety Report and Fire Log
- Annual Fire Safety Report & Fire Log Additionally, an Annual Fire Safety Report & Fire Log are available.
- Timely Warnings The Georgetown University Police Department alerts members of the campus community to reported incidents of crime on or near campus when there may be a threat to the safety of students, faculty or staff and/or when such notification may help in apprehending alleged suspects.
Daily Crime Log
- Daily Crime Log The Georgetown University Police Department maintains a daily crime log that records, by the date the incident was reported, all crimes and other serious incidents that occur on campus, on or in a non-campus building or property, on public property, or within the patrol jurisdiction of GUPD.
Campus Security Authorities
- In addition to the Georgetown University Police Department, there are three other law enforcement agencies which operate on the Georgetown University campus: Georgetown University Law Center Department of Public Safety, Georgetown University Hospital Security, and the Conference Center Loss Prevention Office. There are also a number of campus security authorities that are responsible for reporting incidents of alleged crimes on and near campus to the Department of Public Safety.
External Data on Campus Crime
- District of Columbia Statistics and Resources
Metropolitan District of Columbia Police Department (MPD) maintains crime statistics for the District of Columbia and a public sex offender registry. Georgetown University and surrounding neighborhoods are in MPD’s 2nd District.
- Campus Crime Statistics Online
The U.S. Department of Education provides parents and students access to review campus crime statistics for colleges and university campuses online.
- Summary Crime Statistics
Review the U.S. Department of Education’s summary national crime statistics for colleges and universities online. The data is presented in four parts:
III. Hate Crimes