Robbery in West Georgetown
Posted in Announcement
Incident Summary: The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) is currently investigating the robbery of a Georgetown student that occurred this evening at approximately 10:45 p.m. near the intersection of Volta Place and 33rd Street NW. The student was walking westbound on Volta Place when the suspect approached from behind, claimed to have a handgun, and forced the student to hand over jewelry and a tote bag. The suspect then fled east on Volta Place.
The Department of Public Safety is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Second District Station at 202-715-7300 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact DPS at (202) 687-4343 (202) 687-4343.
Time: 10:45 p.m.
Location: Off Campus
Address: Volta Place and 33rd Streets NW
Incident type: Robbery
Victim(s): The victim was not injured during the incident.
Witness description of suspect(s): The victim describes the suspect as a short, dark-skinned male, small build, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and appearing to have an hispanic accent.
The Department of Public Safety would like to remind all students to practice the following security measures:
1. On campus students should call DPS at 202.687.4343 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
2. Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and DPS at202.687.HELP 202.687.HELP.
3. Practice security at home by not propping doors open, always keeping doors and windows locked, even when you are in residence, and not opening the door to strangers.
4. Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify DPS at 202.687.4343 202.687.4343.
5. Students may utilize the services of THE SHUTTLE or DPS SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 202.784.RIDE 202.784.RIDE for DPS SAFERIDES escorts.
6. Always remember to close and lock your office door, even when gone when only for a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.
Georgetown University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to DPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Campus Security Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to DPS and/or MPD.