Robbery – Wisconsin Avenue & M Street Northwest
Posted in Announcement
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016, at approximately 6:15 p.m., a student reported to the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) and Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) that at approximately 5:55 p.m., while stopped at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue & “M” Street Northwest, they were approached by an unknown white male subject who had his hand concealed in his waistband acting as if he had a weapon, and demanded their bicycle. After the victim refused to give him the bicycle the subject fled eastbound on “M” Street Northwest.
The Georgetown University Police Department is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Second District Station at 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact GUPD at 202- 687-4343.
Date: October 25, 2016
Time: 5:55 P.M.
Location: Off Campus
Address: Wisconsin Avenue & “M” Street Northwest
Incident type: Attempted Robbery
Respondents: Metropolitan Police Department and Georgetown University Police Department
Victim(s): The victim was not injured
Witness description of suspect(s):
The Georgetown University Police Department reminds all students to practice the following security measures:
- On campus students should call GUPD at 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
- Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and GUPD at 687.HELP.
- Practice security at home by not propping doors open, always keeping doors and windows locked, even when you are at home, and not opening the door to strangers.
- Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify GUPD at 202.687.4343.
- Students may utilize the services of THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHUTTLES or GUPD SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 784.RIDE for GUPD SAFERIDES escorts.
- Remember to always close and lock your office / classroom door, even when gone for only a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.