Assault With A Deadly Weapon – 1600 Block 38th St
Posted in Announcement
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
On Monday, July 10, 2017, the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) learned that the Metropolitan Police Department Second District Detectives Office is currently investigating an Assault With A Deadly Weapon that occurred on Friday, July 7, 2017, at approximately 10:15 p.m. in the area of the 1600 Block of 38Th Street Northwest. This is also being investigated as a hate crime, as the complainant suspected that they were targeted due to their sexual orientation.
The complainant (Non GU-Affiliated) reported that while he was walking in the area, he was approached by the suspect, asked “What’s up with you?” and then told “don’t move.” The complainant questioned “why?” and was threatened by suspect and struck on the left side of his cheek with a dark-colored handgun the suspect removed from his waistband. The suspect is described as a black male, 16 – 24 yrs., light complexion, approximately 6’3”, 160 – 200 lbs., and last seen wearing a red shirt, occupying a red SUV.
The Georgetown University Police Department is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Second District Station at 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact GUPD at (202) 687-4343.
Date: July 7, 2017
Time: 10:15 p.m.
Location: Off Campus
Address: 1600 Block 38Th Street Northwest
Incident Type: Assault with A Deadly Weapon (Gun)
Respondents: GUPD/Metropolitan Police Dept.
Witness description of suspect(s): black, male, light complexion, approximately 6’3”, 160 – 200 lbs., last seen wearing a red shirt, occupying a red SUV.
The Georgetown University Police Department reminds all students to practice the following security measures:
- On campus students should call GUPD at 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
- Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and GUPD at 687.HELP.
- Practice security at home by not propping doors open, always keeping doors and windows locked, even when you are at home, and not opening the door to strangers.
- Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify GUPD at 202.687.4343.
- Students may utilize the services of THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHUTTLES or GUPD SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 784.RIDE for GUPD SAFERIDES escorts.
- Remember to always close and lock your office door, even when gone for only a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.
The Georgetown University Police Department makes broadcast notifications when crimes posing a threat to the campus community are reported to GUPD or (MPD), in a manner consistent with the Campus Security Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to GUPD and/or MPD.