Sexual Assault 1600 Block of 37th Street Northwest
Posted in Announcement
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
Please be advised that the Metropolitan Police Department Sexual Assault Unit (MPD) is currently conducting an investigation into a sexual assault that occurred on today’s date at approximately 8:45 p.m. in the area of the 1600 Block of 37th Street Northwest.
On Monday April 30, 2018, at approximately 8:45 p.m. a student reported to MPD that while walking in the 1600 Block of 37th Street Northwest an unidentified male subject, 5’9 – 5’11″”, slim build, wearing a gray tee-shirt with a long sleeve black shirt underneath, and unknown color pants walked up behind them, he then touched them inappropriately. The subject then fled southbound on 37th Street Northwest towards the campus.
The Georgetown University Police Department is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Sexual Assault Unit at 202-727-3700, or the Second District Station at 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact GUPD at (202) 687-4343.
Date: April 30, 2018
Time: 8:45 P.M.
Location: Off Campus
Address: 1600 Block of 37th Street Northwest
Incident type: Sexual Assault
Respondents: Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD)
Witness description of suspect(s): unidentified male subject, 5’9 – 5’11″”, slim build, wearing a gray tee-shirt with a long sleeve black shirt underneath, and unknown color pants
The Georgetown University Police Department reminds all students to practice the following security measures:
- On campus students should call GUPD at 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
- Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and GUPD at 687.HELP.
- Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify GUPD at 202.687.4343.
- Students may utilize the services of THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHUTTLES or GUPD SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 784.RIDE for GUPD SAFERIDES escorts.
- Remember to always close and lock your office / classroom door, even when gone for only a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.
Georgetown University’s Police Department (GUPD) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to GUPD or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Campus Security Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to and/or MPD.