Off Campus Assault 1200 Block Wisconsin Avenue Northwest
Posted in Announcement
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
Please be advised that on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, this department (GUPD) learned that the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Second District Detectives Office is currently conducting an investigation into an assault that occurred on Tuesday, January 23, 2018, at approximately 1:00 a.m. in the 1200 Block of Wisconsin Avenue Northwest.
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018, at approximately 5:20 a.m. a victim (Non GU Affiliated) reported to MPD that while seated in their vehicle in the 1200 Block of Wisconsin Avenue Northwest an unidentified male subject described as a black, male, wearing a black coat and blue pants approached the vehicle and punctured their tire utilizing an unknown object. The victim then confronted the subject who then produced a knife and stabbed the victim in the left arm. The subject then fled the scene on foot in an unknown direction.
The Georgetown University Police Department is requesting that anyone who has information regarding this or any other incident(s), or who noticed any suspects before or after the incident, to contact The Metropolitan Police Department Second District Station at 202-715-7300, or the Detectives Office at 202-730-1903, or the Command Information Center at 202-727-9099 immediately. They may also contact GUPD at (202) 687-4343.
Date: January 23, 2017
Time: 1:00 AM
Location: Off Campus
Address: 1200 Block of Wisconsin Avenue Northwest
Incident Type: Assault With A Dangerous Weapon (ADW)
Respondents: Metropolitan Police Dept.
Victim(s): Laceration to left arm
Victim(s) status: Treated and released from hospital
Witness description of suspect(s): black male, wearing a black coat, and blue pants
The Georgetown University Police Department reminds all students to practice the following security measures:
- On campus students should call GUPD at 202.687.4343 regarding any safety concerns.
- Off campus students with immediate safety concerns should call MPD at 911 and GUPD at 687.HELP.
- Practice security at home by not propping doors open, always keeping doors and windows locked, even when you are at home, and not opening the door to strangers.
- Students noticing suspicious activities or individuals loitering around entrances to residence halls, apartments, or townhouses should immediately notify GUPD at 202.687.4343.
- Students may utilize the services of THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHUTTLES or GUPD SAFERIDES escorts as a means of providing safe passage off-campus. Call 784.RIDE for GUPD SAFERIDES escorts.
- Remember to always close and lock your office / classroom door, even when gone for only a few minutes, and keep personal belongings out of plain sight.
The Georgetown University Police Department makes broadcast notifications when crimes posing a threat to the campus community are reported to GUPD or (MPD), in a manner consistent with the Campus Security Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to GUPD and/or MPD.