CRIME STATISTICS AND CLERY COMPLIANCE
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, commonly referred to as the Clery Act, requires higher education institutions to:
- Collect, report and disseminate crime data to the campus community and the U.S. Department of Education;
- Provide timely warnings of reported crimes that represent a threat to the safety of students or employees; and
- Make public their campus security policies.
Annual Crime Report
- Annual Crime Report: Crime Awareness and Campus Security The Department of Public Safety annually produces and distributes a Crime Awareness and Campus Security Report outlining campus security policies, procedures and crime statistics.
Annual Fire Safety Report and Fire Log
- Annual Fire Safety Report & Fire Log Additionally, an Annual Fire Safety Report & Fire Log are available.
Public Safety Alerts
- Public Safety Alerts (PSA) The Department of Public Safety alerts members of the campus community to reported incidents of crime on or near campus when there may be a threat to the safety of students, faculty or staff and/or when such notification may help in apprehending alleged suspects.
Daily Crime Log
Daily Crime Log The Department of Public Safety maintains a daily crime log that records, by the date the incident was reported, all crimes and other serious incidents that occur on campus, on or in a non-campus building or property, on public property, or within the patrol jurisdiction of DPS.
Campus Security Authorities
- In addition to the Department of Public Safety, there are three other law enforcement agencies which operate on the Georgetown University campus: Georgetown University Law Center Department of Public Safety, Georgetown University Hospital Security, and the Conference Center Loss Prevention Office. There are also a number of campus security authorities that are responsible for reporting incidents of alleged crimes on and near campus to the Department of Public Safety.
External Data on Campus Crime
- District of Columbia Statistics and Resources
Metropolitan District of Columbia Police Department (MPD) maintains crime statistics for the District of Columbia and a public sex offender registry. Georgetown University and surrounding neighborhoods are in MPD's 2nd District.
- Campus Crime Statistics Online
The U.S. Department of Education provides parents and students access to review campus crime statistics for colleges and university campuses online.
- Summary Crime Statistics
Review the U.S. Department of Education's summary national crime statistics for colleges and universities online. The data is presented in four parts:
III. Hate Crimes